Thursday, March 8, 2007

Pregnancy loves elastic

The joy of learning that I am soon to join the ranks of those who have, knowingly or unknowingly, created little fledglings of their own, was rudely cut short by the realisation that my once size 10 frame, would never be the same again.

I have never been petite by any standards, but I have always managed to maintain a semblance of a waistline. I attribute this to the genes that I share with my paternal aunt, and to the body suit ( which smooths out the flab, at the cost of cutting off circulation temporarily), which I occasionally, but discreetly wear.

And so it was to my dismay, to see that my body was stocking up on fat, with a vengence that was both alarming and oddly fascinating. I steer clear of all mirrors thesedays, or anything that can produce even a vague reflection.

Panic set in, when all my regular clothes seemed a tad snug. Putting on my favourite pair of jeans involved a good five minutes of cursing, breath holding, wiggling, and cave women grunts. Only to find myself looking like a sausage that had too much stuffing in it.

It was therefore decided, that I go shopping to get a more befitting wardrobe. It was either that, or opting to wear my husband's boxer shorts, or a skirt that I had fashioned out of spare bedspreads. Now while I found the latter two quite suitable and comfortable alternatives, my husband, being the more conventional sort, thought otherwise.

And so it was, that I found myself standing at the Maternity section at the local mall. I was lost. There were rows and rows of elasticated pants ( elastic!!! ), jumbo sized sweaters and blouses, and trousers that would go around the equator. These clothes made a statement- come pregnancy, and your sense of style has to die!

With a heavy heart, I chose a pair of elasticated jeans, which looked like a bad fashion relic from the 80's, and a top which I thought had promise. I was wrong! As I ventured out of the dressing room, looking like I was wearing a bedouin tent, I saw my husband's jaw drop and swing from it's hinges. I was'nt a pretty sight.

While I am still on the search for maternity clothes that are not fashion faux pas, I did not however, go home empty handed that day. And, I put those pants to test that same evening by polishing off a full tub of ice cream. 'Elastic', I threatened, 'do your thing!'

2 comments:

Miss Frangipani said...

Topshop seems to have a good range of maternity wear. Haven't had the occasion to try them out myself (yet), but just reporting what I've seen :)

dhivia vinodkumar said...

hey thanks for the valuable piece of info...gonna hit topshop pronto!